Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In the name of God: What better way to start my first blog than this? God. God that we believe in, God that we worship, God that we cherish. Who is God? Has anyone seen him? How do you know he looks human? If he is capable of anything, he obviously is superhuman, and has advanced capabilities that we don’t. Then why do we give him a human or near human form? (Incidentally, if God is capable of doing anything, can he build a mountain that he himself cannot lift?)But if he doesn’t exist, why do most people think of him, especially when they are stuck in a rut? And most important of all, why do people have such different opinions on God?

{Maybe I should insert a disclaimer here: The opinions expressed in this blog are purely my own. They are not meant as scientific evidence, psychological theories, hate messages or as a propaganda against religion/science.}

God, I can sum up in one word is Faith. The deeper we probe into science, the less reason there is for us to believe in God. Yet we do. Faith is what gives us Hope and Hope is what keeps us alive. Imagine living, knowing that every single day is going to be more miserable than the previous one. Knowing for sure that there is no point in staying alive as you are going to suffer more each day and nothing good will come out of it for you! I don’t think anyone can survive in such a situation.You need hope to carry on and God gives you that.

But does God exist? Or, considering that we have such well documented religion, did God exist? I think he did. Just that he wasn’t God. If anyone has read “Chariots of Gods” by Erich von Daniken, they will know where I am heading. This book helped me sort out a lot of things in my head. The book is admittedly biased and poor Daniken is very frustrated by the lack of funding provided by the govt. for his research, but the ideas put forth are brilliant! There were more intelligent beings who visited our Earth from time to time(read: different avatars with different types of Gods), and help shape the world the way it is today.

Our mythology consists of various scientific marvels. If you look in detail, you have advanced spacecrafts, nuclear weapons, missiles, genetically-enhanced creatures and so on. Examples from Hindu mythology(the one I am most familiar with) are: Gods making sudden appearances in ‘large shiny metallic birds with blue-flamed tails’ or Duryodhana obtaining a weapon from the Gods that was very powerful can be used only once(which he used to kill Bhima’s son, a giant). Even when Noah’s ark was reconstructed a few years ago, it had electrocuting properties(explaning why when someone, I don’t remember the name, touched the original ark when he wasn’t supposed to, died). Isn’t this all evidence carried down by generations that God was not just fantasy? But then again, he wasn’t God. Humans started calling Gods as Gods because they could not explain the physics behind their capabilities and actions. And Gods were marvellous.. they looked different, they could do amazing things.. surely they could save all of humanity if they were pleased? Little did they know that God would stop existing once he realized that humans could survive on their own. Maybe some of them still have their bloodline alive today.

I guess my views on God make me, not an atheist, maybe a little bit of an agnostic. But just like anyone else, knowing in the sanest of my minds that there is no proof that God is the one who is granting my wishes, I can’t stop believing in him. Religion has been so thoroughly instilled in me that even if I want to, I can’t get rid of it! I still pray every day, I even converse with God(with my own conscience and subconscious providing the God’s half of the conversation). God, according to me, is very important in one’s life. He provides the faith, hope and fear in everyone to keep them getting through one day to the next. He provides happiness that we can thank him for and sadness that we can conveniently blame him for(he did that to you because of your Karma!). God has a scientifically established existence, but he doesn’t exist! I mean, imagine, if he does exist, where is he? How can he see us individually and observe our most secret actions and know our deepest thoughts if he isn’t within us?

Religion can help us understand so many things about science better(eg: Stonehenge, and oh, how did Chinese astronomers observed the Crab Nebula's(6500 light years away ) supernova in 1054?? I mean, we just built a space telescope in the previous century!!). And Science has the capability to cover every loophole in religion. We just need one more player in the game- the magnificent healer and creator, Time.

One day, as Science still waits for the Grand Unified Theory, and recovers fossils that were older than ever, we will finally find out the Great Truth...and the merger of religion and science. Einstein’s once said, “all the things I have learnt through science do nothing but enhance my faith in god”.  He also said “God does not play dice”.  How true.

I sum up my views as, Religion is Science and Science is Religion, neither can live without the other, and neither can kill the other. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice one gal..!Waiting for more to come...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection - looks like someone has really grown up - 20something !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Factually and fantastically put. If I may ignite or add my view to this, I see the thought as a God and execution is what it gets him/her there.

    ReplyDelete